Thursday, March 19, 2015

Feeding the Courage Wolf

Native American folklore says that we all have 2 sides to us, one that is "good" and one that is "bad".   These 2 sides are represented by wolves and the good is called the "Courage Wolf", while the bad is called the "Fear Wolf". This is oversimplifying things, of course, but is a metaphor that can be powerful in helping to remind us what to do in times of challenge and stress.

I've decided to take on the challenge of developing what's referred to as an "Unbeatable Mind", a concept and program developed by former Navy SEAL Mark Divine. Mark has a few programs, most notably "SEALfit", which is also a whole-person training program.  Both programs are geared toward this holistic approach, it's just that SEALfit has a much stronger physical component to it than Unbeatable Mind.

And so I'm working through both at the moment, at a basic level, which means I'm reading both books and trying to implement the actions into my life.  Here's what I've learned so far.

Your mind is the most powerful tool that you have.  Regardless of your physical condition (they believe, as I do, that stronger is always better), you can achieve great things by harnessing the power of your mind.  This isn't as simple as it seems, but for me it is boiled down to one idea: To win at anything, you must first win in your mind.  Better said, "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war.  Defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."  - Sun Tzu.

The first 2 big steps in this process are to change my belief system, and begin the steps to visualize my own success in my mind.  Practically speaking, this means that I wrote down the 4 guiding emotions in my life.  They are as follows:
1. Fear (fearing failure) 
2. Jealousy (wishing for what others have achieved)
3. Love (I believe that all things must begin with love)
4. Despair (giving up hope when things get hard).
I am proud that one of my dominant emotions is Love, however...the other 3 are directly at odds with this and so I don't believe that I'm truly acting out of love all the time. 

I am working to replace these emotions with
1. Courage
2. Acceptance
3. Love
4. Hope
 I reflect on these daily until they become virtues - founding principles on which my character is built.  This will not happen overnight, and it will take a lot of time and effort on my part. 

The visualization part is also a ways off.  To start this process, first I am practicing meditation daily.  Finding even 5-10 minutes of quiet at the beginning or end of my day to just clear my mind is my goal.  I use  the fishbowl technique, which is where you imagine your mind as a cloudy, dirty fishbowl that slowly clears to pristine waters.  Anytime thoughts creep in, the fishbowl clouds again.  From here, once I have a clear mind, then I can imagine my own success.  For me, this is being a calm, courageous force.  Someone who truly begins all things with love.

I am also beginning the physical component, which is to push myself in workouts that are quite difficult.  The difference here is that although they are very physically demanding, the purpose is to both strengthen myself physically, but more importantly, to strengthen my mind.  By believing that I can complete a tough physical challenge (by first visualizing myself doing, and completing, the workout) and then proving it out, I gain strength of mind.  However, I also am tuning into my body much more.  If I feel tired or worn out, I take a rest day.  You must nurture your body with sleep and nutrition so that it can be powerful.

Will you try one of these techniques with me?  Nothing ventured, nothing gained! And if you feel this is all to "new agey" or hokey, remember....these are techniques employed by Navy SEALs - the toughest of the tough.

If you have any questions, please feel free to comment.   And remember to starve the Fear Wolf and feed the Courage Wolf inside of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment