Wednesday, December 3, 2014

B-17 Days

It seems that I missed having wires and hardware in my mouth so much, I'm heading in to get some more!

I visited Dr. O. today, my lovely orthodondist. This visit started the real process of getting braces, and I am happy to be moving into a positive direction.  After I had the photos, impressions and diagnostic stuff done, Dr. O. sat me down to chat about what he was going to do and answer my questions. It was so nice of him to take the time to chat. His treatment coordinator said that he loves to teach and is always happy to make time before and after appointments to talk to his patients if they so desire. How nice that he is so accessible.

He explained to me that I would be getting braces on the top first, and that it wasn't likely to hurt my sensitive teeth. Even if I'm going to lose teeth eventually, he says I can keep them in for now. With the type of braces that I will be getting, Damon braces, they don't pull any teeth due to crowding like they used to, and it seems that palate expanders and things like that aren't required anymore either. I am pretty thankful for this. I can appreciate how painful those things must be, and after all the pain I've had and am still having with my mouth, teeth and head, I don't know that I'm up for much more torture. I'm sure having the braces on and the movement of my teeth will be enough to add on to what's already going on.

Dr O also agreed to put ceramic brackets on my front "smile" teeth to keep the brace-face metal-mouth look to a minimum.  I think you'll agree that the look is a bit more flattering!!


We also had a little discussion around what has happened to me, and Dr P's recommendation that I have a double jaw replacement. Dr O reassured me that he didn't think it had much to do with my bone density, which was a thought by my medical doctor. Since my scan came back normal, it's not that.  Dr O thinks it's just a freak accident, the angle that I hit and the force that I hit with caused this pretty rare injury. It's compounded by the healing that was left for too long in the wrong positions and now here I am. 

He mentioned one silver lining! In his words "at least you're going to have a phenomenal smile after this!"  I agree, it is definitely a benefit but I'll call it a success when I have new jaws and can close my eyes and feel my face and am not paralyzed anywhere! 

So he said that he was ready to put my top braces on, and I said ok..let's get moving! I think his treatment coordinator was surprised that I didn't want to wait until after the holidays to get the braces on, but I really want to see some progress happening. I'm definitely getting out of pain with the dental work, and that's great.  Onward and upward!!!! So now I get braces on the morning of December 19, and I my new theme song will be Teenage Dreams. Now I just need some skintight jeans.....

No comments:

Post a Comment